Molen de Ster used to be one of two wood saw mills at the Leidsche Vaart, outside of the Catherijne gate of the city Utrecht. The first wood saw mill was built in 1721 and named ‘Sint Job’. It got burnt down in 1815 and was later on rebuilt as wood saw mill ‘De Bijgeval’. Because of industrial progress, it was finally put out of use and destroyed in 1909.
The second wood saw mill ‘De Ster’, dates back to 1739 and was commissioned by Van der Starren, who named the mill. Four generations of this family were sawing with the mill for nearly a century. In 1876, it was sold to Willem Jan de Wit, who bought ‘De Bijgeval’ a few years later. They came from a different province and saw good opportunities for timber trade in Utrecht.
In 1911 wind power is replaced by electricity. The windmill itself, which was positioned on top of the saw barn, was no longer used so demolished. The company De Wit was still trading timber in the early eighties and was located on the same address in Utrecht for over a century.
On 28 June 1988, the foundation Sterremolen is established with the aim to rebuilt the windmill. After a decade-long search for finances, the mill hull is placed on top of the saw barn in September 1998. The official opening of the complete woodsaw mill as we know it today takes place on 22 June 1999.